Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A novel...

I haven't written in a while! I had a good weekend, with a few mood swings, that's for sure. It's got to be from stopping the birth control...or can you get mood swings from the Lupron this early?

Ok, so to clarify- my last post when I just re-read it sounded like I was saying the doctor in fact saw tissue on my CT scan that pointed to endo. But I was saying that that is what the doctor said they could possibly use the CT scan for- to see small spots of excess tissue that would point to endometriosis. He hadn't read it yet. And he just read it yesterday and said he couldn't see anything in my lungs. So I'm very happy about that!!! We're supposing at this point that it's diaphragm or upper abdomen endo that's putting pressure on my lungs, and causing the pain and awkward breathing. My pulmonologist was very unhelpful though, and told me to stop taking deep breaths. Very strange, I mean...why? I don't take deep breaths because I want to, I take them because it feels like I'm not getting enough air. And so he told me that it's just a feeling, and to ignore it. Um, ok? Well, he's right in the fact that I'm definitely getting enough air. I apparently have super human lungs, that function at 128%, or in the 128th percentile. I didn't even know that was possible. He said it's from the years of training for swimming, and the fact that I'm 6'1". :) So that's good I guess!

I'm really getting excited for the Lupron to work. I haven't experienced horrible side effects so far, and it makes me feel like I'm going to be ok on it. I sure hope so! But it also makes me so sad, and kind of angry that this stupid drug can be so harsh on some people, and cause such horrible side effects. I know I have a long way to go, and the worst may be yet to come...I just wish they would find a cure! I wish Lupron could be an answer for everyone.

Lupron Journal:
Definite mood swings over the last couple of days. My poor, poor boyfriend. I'm a lucky girl. I also have had some pretty bad lower abdominal pain in the mornings and late at night (5) that resemble cramps. And I've had trouble sleeping for sure. I just can't fall asleep, but once I'm out, I'm out! So I'm happy for that, and hope it lasts.

I went to P.F. Chang's tonight and got to have some more of their delicious gluten-free menu! The Singapore Street noodles are so tasty! If you have a PF Changs near you, check it out. And I don't know if it's a chain, but Picazzo's Pizza has a gluten-free menu, and I decided to throw out the dairy free for a night so I could have some pizza. It was perfection! And the chicken wings were to die for. Mmmm! I'm also making more stir-fry's and I'm going to try some more recipes here soon.

I saw my old endocrinologist for a second opinion and he said the nodules on my thyroid are good to go. They haven't really changed in the last year. And when I told him about my problems in my abdomen/chest he was very confident it was all endometriosis related. He feels like the Lupron is a great choice, but wants to make sure I'm keeping an eye on my bone density. He said that I need to be taking 1,000mg of Calcium every day, but more importantly, I need to double up and take 2,000mg of Vitamin D daily. I wasn't really aware of that, so I'm glad I saw him. He's a really nice doctor, but not all that helpful usually. I asked him about my hashimoto's and he just shrugged it off again. That's why I'm seeing a new endocrinologist. My new one is checking out my adrenals, and looking into treating my hashimotos finally.

I went to work half days both yesterday and today, and I'm feeling a little more solid now-a-days. I still have worse pain than usual in my abdomen and up under my rib cage, but I just have an overall sense of "better". Before, I was always worried that if I did too much I'd be laid out for days. Now I feel like I could live a little, and I'll be ok. Let's hope that's right!

3 comments:

Amanda and Tim said...

Oh I am so glad that the Lupron is working well for you so far - truly I am!! I remember when the mirena first started working for me and it was like I had a new lease of life and it sounds like you're starting to feel that too :o) Keeping my fingers crossed for you that it continues to be good!

Alex said...

Ooh, sorry to hijack, but Amanda, do you mean the Mirena IUD? I'm about to get that in January... did it work for you? How long? I'm gonna check your blog out, I'd love to hear any and all info about it if you don't mind!

My Endo Journey said...

I'm SOOOOO glad to hear about your scan results! :) And, I love to see your positivity!

YES, take caution on the bone density! I was taking a vitamin called Osteoprime...a mutli and souped up calcium/D all in one. Go ahead and start taking them...better safe that sorry!

Hope the rest of the week goes well for you!