Monday, October 20, 2008

Not the Best Monday

I was really hoping to wake up to a new feeling this morning, make it into work at least for part of the day, and start to turn a new leaf. There's always tomorrow!

I did, however, stop bleeding this weekend after three weeks! That was a rough three weeks for sure. Not the first time I've gone that long, and I'm trying new BC so I'm guessing that's what the problem was. They switched me to a new BC about a week ago after I had bled for two straight weeks on my last one (first time trying it). And the new one is stronger, so that should work. They really want me to go continuously rather than what I was having to do (mainly regular birth control schedule because if I tried to skip a period I would be doomed for a month of bleeding rather than a week). We'll see how this works until the Lupron injection. Still waiting on that call. C'mon insurance!

I did get a call from Dr.RH's office today, but it was only to report that I need to see an endocrinologist because of my thyroid blood test. My antibodies are high! No way! ;) haha, I know I know- why don't I have an endocrinologist already? Well I saw a few of them and the last one I saw did the biopsy of the masses on my thyroid at the end of 2007, and then with the amazing news that it didn't look like cancer, he sent me away- said come back in a year for a check up to make sure it's still not cancer. He didn't want to treat the Hashimoto's at all. So I got fed up and quit endocrinologists. Yes, I'm a quitter. If I don't have cancer then I'm good to go? I mean, I'm much MUCH better off than the alternative, but then why did I start seeing a bunch of doctors in the first place. It's not like I woke up one morning, thought to myself "Amy, it feels like you might have cancer, you'd better go get that checked out." And then found that, alas, my intuition was wrong. It's along my merry way again!

No, I had symptoms, irritating unexplained symptoms. And no one wanted to deal with them if they weren't due to cancer. So I quit. I figured, if they were ok with me quitting, then I was ok with me quitting.


Ok, in all seriousness I did get fed up with the cancer scares and the driving all over the state of Arizona, filling out new paperwork, faxing old medical records to doctor upon doctor. I stopped thinking about a possibility for any real change, for anything to help the symptoms go away. I was relieved I didn't have cancer, and I was done fighting. So I stopped worrying. Now it's time to get back up and take my health into my own hands again. I'm tired. I'm sore. I'm having that nagging lump in my throat feeling more and more. I think it's time to get my thyroid under control, and find someone who wants to help me! So I got a couple of referrals. And I got a referral for a Reproductive Endocrinologist as well, because the nurse said it's never a bad idea to get a jump start on my fertility awareness. I've got countless things working against me here, I should at least be on my own side working for me! :) So it's back to the drawing board, more faxing and driving. But at least I won't be sitting on my butt all day waiting for something to happen.

1 comment:

Ali said...

Hope you find some MD's you like. I think it's so important to have someone that listens and really seems to care what is going on!!!

Hope your week gets better!