Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I may need to change the name of this blog...

To add a new problem. I guess I'm relieved that I have some answers finally, but have you ever noticed that as soon as things start to get better, or you decide to move on, a curve ball is thrown? This feels like a little more than a curve ball...

I had my appointment with the endocrinologist yesterday. I wasn't excpecting anything because I figured any abnormal results would have been relayed to me immediately. I hadn't gotten any calls, so I thought it would just be another "well, let's keep testing- we don't know what's going on yet" appointment. That's not what happened. The doctor came in, shook my hand and I introduced him to Ben, then he sat down and started reading results on his computer. He sat with his back to us reading over result after result for over 5 minutes, in silence. Finally he turned around to talk. Fortunately, I had been reading over his shoulder a bit, so I was at least sort of ready for what was next. He said that they found a 4mm pituitary tumor that is causing Cushing's Disease. So far, all of my tests have been Cushing's positive except for one, and it turns out I may have done that test incorrectly. So, because Cushing's is progressive disease, and the tumor will continue to grow and cause more adverse effects, they have to do surgery to remove it. At this point, I have two more tests they need me to do before I speak to a neurosurgeon, just to get some more baseline numbers. When those results come in, my endocrinologist will refer me to a neurosurgeon he thinks is best. They refer to Barrow Institute, which is apparently a very prestigious neurosurgery institute. I feel good about that at least. The rest of it, I'm still figuring out. I'm glad I have a diagnosis. I'm glad there's an 80% cure rate with the brain surgery. And I'm glad that we found it pretty early. I'm NOT glad that it's not at all related to endometriosis or Hashimoto's disease, and is therefore one more problem I'm going to have to monitor for...well...ever.

I still don't have a timeline. Hopefully I'll be done with these tests in the next few days and then see the endocrinologist again in about a week and a half. At that point, it's going to be up to the neurosurgeon. My endocrinologist told me not to wait to long. The larger the tumor, the lower the cure rate and the higher the chance I'll have to get multiple surgeries to get all of the tumor.

I'll keep updating with anything else I find out. And of course, this is all happening when I was just starting to feel better, and think that I could move on. I JUST started my new workout plan, and I was pretty excited. But, I'll keep working out until the surgery, it can only help.

6 comments:

Amanda and Tim said...

Oh Amy I am so sorry to hear this - I mean I'm glad you finally got an answer but so sorry it's an answer that nobody really wants to get.

I shall be thinking of you so much and sending cyber hugs and love your way.

KW said...

Hi Amy,

Just wanted to say hello - I just found you blog - I'm a survivor of Cushing's syndrome. I had my right adrenal glad removed in Jan. 2008.

It must give you some relief to know there is an answer for what's been happening to your body. It took me 4 1/2 years and 4 doctors before I was diagnosed with Cushing's.

I wish you the best of luck in your journey.

Best,
Kristin
kristinwalldesigns@gmail.com

My Endo Journey said...

Saying prayers your way! I'm so sorry your appointment took such a turn today. I am glad you have some answers, and, that they caught it before it got too big and out of control. You had that MRI for a reason! I hope that your appointments come quick so you don't have to think about and worry over this too long. God bless you. Stay strong...and yes, keep exercising as long as it's not contraindicated...it'll make you feel stronger and keep ya going!

Anonymous said...

I'm very sorry that you have received a "curve ball". As someone who suffers from multiple problems (for me it's PCOS and endometriosis), I know some of the struggles that lay ahead. I'm delighted to see that you're remaining positive - that they found Cushing's reasonably early, and that you're still taking regular exercise. You'd be amazed at how much good focusing on the good things in your life can do for you.

Take care and, as I'm a regular reader, I'll be checking up on you soon.
Foxy

judycolby said...

"The larger the tumor, the lower the cure rate and the higher the chance I'll have to get multiple surgeries to get all of the tumor."

The size of the tumor really doesn't make a difference. I know of people who have had very tiny tumors and didn't get a cure with first surgery. Not trying to scare you, just prepare you. I think there is always a chance for recurrence, the timeline is just different for everyone.

Gracie said...

Are you on the Cushing's Help and Support boards? If not, join up. It's free, and you will find TONS of information, to help you get a better understanding of what is going on with your body.

I'm so sorry you have something else to deal with. Many of us who have Cushing's, also had endometriosis or adneomyosis. You are not alone.

Cushing's affects everything in your body. It litterally has an impact on every cell in your body. It's good your endo caught this for you! Most of us have had to fight to get our diagnosis. Most doctors don't believe what we tell them, and a lot of us have the cyclical form, making it harder to catch. Good luck in all of this! It's not easy, but it is curable. That's the good thing!